The Q&A Archives: island bed on wet, almost swampy area of yard

Question: We have a circular patch of wet, almost swampy, spot in the backyard. I was wondering if an island bed would work there and if so, is there any types of shrubs/flowers would work in that type of wet soil? We live in zone 6 and it is full sun....but the sun does not dry this area. It may be due to a stream that runs approx. 50 feet from the wet patch.

Answer: Here's a list of plants suitable for wet areas and most are hardy down to zone 4:

I'm sure you'll glean a few ideas from the list. I wonder if you've considered installing a curtain drain between the stream and the wet area? It can help redirect the excess water. A curtain or French drain is basically a gravel filled trench - or one with a perforated plastic pipe set on the gravel - which can collect the water and disperse it. Might be worth a thought.