The Q&A Archives: loosing grass

Question: After the heavy snows melted this spring, I noticed my grass was gone in patches under a large maple tree. The patches are now bigger and I see lots of ants. What can I do?

Answer: It's really difficult for grass to grow under trees - there's lots of shade, and the soil is usually dry because tree roots compete for moisture and nutrients. There might be a fungal disease at work, as well. Without being able to see the grass, I can only suggest that you dig the area, work in a little compost and overseed the area. Or, you can take a sample of the ailing turf to your local cooperative extension office or well staffed nursery for help in diagnosing the problem and suggestions for treatment. Wish I could offer more help!