The Q&A Archives: cucumber plant

Question: My 2 cucumber plants have been doing well for about a month (it's middle of July now) but now the leaves are yellowing on one of them-all over, not just on the bottom. In close examination of the leaves' undersides, I found numerous tiny black insects and some very fine webbing around the leaves. The leaves feel very dry and spindly to the touch. what can I do?

Answer: The tiny insects and fine webbing are signs of spidermites. These little pests feed by sucking the fluids out of plant leaves. They like dry, dusty locations and you can discourage them by hosing them off the leaves of your plant. You can use Bonide?s Total Pest Control product provides excellent, long-lasting control of problem insects on vegetables; Bioneem by Safer; Bon-Neem by Bonide, or Power Force Multi-Insect Killer by Bayer are also registered for use against spidermites.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"