The Q&A Archives: What to do with an area after taking down above ground pool?

Question: Took down our above ground pool. Do you have any suggestions on how to fill that area? I'm thinking of a vegetable garden, but I would like it to be attractive.

Answer: I imagine there is a thick layer of sand over the soil and if this is the case, you'll want to remove some of it and then spread organic matter over the top and rototill everything in. Some sand is beneficial, but too much will make the area drain too quickly and it won't hold nutrients, so you'll want to balance things out with the addition of organic matter. Once the soil has been prepared you can build a veggie garden, or an herb garden, or even a perennial garden. You might even have enough room to make a design with your plants. Try sketching things out on paper to see what looks pleasing to you. Or, check out some gardening books at your local library to glean ideas. Good luck with your garden!