The Q&A Archives: snail on a tomato- split tomato skins

Question: (Bham Al,zone 7/8) I found a snail, just sitting bold as u please, on a nice ripe tomato. what do I do? Also, some of the tomatos have black splits in the skin. Why?

Answer: Hope you picked that snail off the tomato! They usually don't climb up tomato plant stems because the leaves and stems are hairy - but you just never know! You can sprinkle some snail bait around your plants (Sluggo, for instance).

Splitting can be caused by uneven watering. On almost-mature tomatoes the skin has stopped growing but the inside tissues are still absorbing water. Too much water (either rainfall or from the hose) at this point in the growth process can result in splitting. Try cutting back on your watering, applying a thorough soaking to the plant only once a week. You can try growing split-resistant type if your weather is such that you can't control the amount of water a plant gets.

Good luck with your tomato plants!