The Q&A Archives: Squash growing slower with green tint color

Question: I have been getting beautiful yellow summer squash until last week. The new squash has slowed in growing (longer to grow) and it has either a greenish tint to the color or some of the squash is a lite yellow on one side & other side is a dark yellow. Any idea on what could be causing this? The only thing I am doing different is watering thru a soaker hose now, where I was watering with a sprinkler

Answer: If the affected squash are in full sunshine rather than being shaded by foliage, that's probably why you are seeing the color change. If you can provide some shade from hot afternoon sunshine the squash should remain the correct color. As long as your plants are growing well, the change in watering should not affect the color of your squash. It's normal for growth to slow in mid-summer. Your plants are dealing with the heat in the best way it can - they are slowing down. Enjoy your garden. I hope you continue to have a terrific harvest!