The Q&A Archives: pests

Question: Something is eating the petals off of my cone flowers and my sunflowers. Is there a bug around that specifically targets these?

Answer: Sunflower moth larvae can damage echinacea and sunflowers, grasshoppers, earwigs, and tarnished plant bugs can sometimes damage them as well. I can't really offer a specific control measure until you catch the culprits in the act. Moths and grasshoppers are difficult to control but you can trap earwigs by setting dampened rolled up newspapers at the base of the plants. Earwigs will crawl into the folds of the paper overnight to hide. In the morning you can pick up the paper, fold the ends closed, and toss it into the garbage. Repeat as often as necessary to reduce the population of earwigs.