The Q&A Archives: 1=Deer; 2=Zucchini

Question: 1. I have deer eating bird food from a feeder I recently put up. It is an anti-squirrel feeder. Any suggestions on how to keep the deer away?
2. I planted zucchini in May. They start off green then turn yellow. As far as I know, they should be green. I tried to do my own cross-pollination but couldn't find any males. Does the cooler summer weather have anything to do with this?

Answer: I guess the only way to keep deer from eating your bird food is to hang your feeder higher up - where the deer cannot reach it. Birds won't mind feeding from a high perch. Zucchini that turns yellow usually indicates it is overmature. Try harvesting when the squash are less than 7 inches in length. The more you harvest, the more squash your plant will produce. If you want to hand pollinate your squash, look for male blossoms (they have a straight stem directly behind the petals) and brush the insides of the male flower into the female flower (has a slight swelling directly behind the flower petals). Good luck with your zucchini!