The Q&A Archives: Flowering vines

Question: We have a wood fence in our back yard. I would like to plant some vine in front of it that is quick growing and with flowers to cover the ugly fence and add some color to the back yard. Needs to be hardy (as I do not have a green thumb), and be able to take full sun and hot temperature. Any suggestions?

Answer: The situation you describe sounds tough for a plant, but if you prepare the soil by incorporating some organic matter like compost or leaf mold (to help retain moisture and give the roots room to penetrate), you'll have success with Helianthemum nummalarium (Sunrose), Podranea ricasoliana (Pink Trumpet Vine), Rosa banksiae (Lady Bank's Rose), or Convolvulus mauritanicus (Ground Morning Glory). Give your new plants plenty of attention and water while they're becoming established and they should perform well for you.