The Q&A Archives: soil

Question: i have red clay dirt and it is really hard to get my plants to grow in the ground, i have tried to mix fertilizer, organic soil and plant food into the ground, i finally pot my plants into pots what can i do for this thank you

Answer: Soil building is a continual process, not a one-time thing. To improve your soil, incorporate plenty of compost before every planting season. In clay soils, compost improves soil fertility and drainage. Add a 4-6 inch layer of compost and incorporate it about 12-18 inches deep. You can use manure if it is well-aged (6 months) or you won't be planting until it has lost it's heat and decomposed. Each planting season, add more compost. You may want to incorporate a balanced fertilizer (e.g., 10-10-10) or add organic fertilizers such as fish emulsion, bone meal, and seaweed/kelp at the same time. Follow package instructions. After planting, add a 1-2 inch layer of mulch. Mulch is great to help retain soil moisture, reduce weeds, and as it breaks down it provides nutrients to the soil. Any organic matter can be used as mulch. Try compost, bark, wood chips, straw, or pine needles. As it breaks down, dig it into your soil and add more. A rototiller isn't absolutely necessary; you can incorporate the amendments by digging them in with a shovel. Playground or builder's sand will suffice, but I'd stay away from the very fine beach-type sand. Hope your garden blooms beyond your expectations.