The Q&A Archives: Japanese Beetles

Question: I saw a few beetles a few weeks ago and thought nothing of them. There seemed to be a couple riding on the back of another. Well, today when I went to water my plants, they were quite a few and I saw that my flowers were being eaten and there were holes in the leaves. I cut off the parts that had been eaten and killed the beetles I saw. I live in Chicago and have flowers boxes on balcony,what ca

Answer: Japanese beetles are a difficult pest to control so handpicking and destroying the ones you see is a good idea. Rotenone and Pyrethrum sprays are effective against the adults as are neem oil based products such as Bioneem or Bonide. Ortho's Rose Care Insecticide is also labeled for control of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions.