The Q&A Archives: Growing Bunch Berries

Question: I would very much like to grow bunchberries, a ground cover similiar to the dogwood, and would like to know where I can get seeds and any special advice on growing them.

Answer: Bunchberries (Cornus canadensis - it is a dogwood!) are native woodland plants that thrive in moist, acidic forest soils in dappled shade. It's easy to grow as long as these conditions are met. They're recommended as as companion plants for azaleas and rhododendrons which appreciate the same growing conditions. Bunchberry is spreading, but not invasive.

I've found just a couple sources of plants, but not for seeds. Apparently it's not commonly offered by nurseries. Greer Gardens, 1280 Goodpasture Island Road, Eugene OR 97401, ph# 800/548-0111; Sonoma Horticultural Nursery, 3970 Azalea Ave, Sebastopol CA 95472, ph# 707/823-6832. You can also check with the Connecticut chapter of the New England Wildflower Society (ph# 508/877-7630; to see if they have members who want to share divisions from their own plantings. Good luck!