The Q&A Archives: brown grass in spots

Question: how do i prevent brown spots on lawn, monkey grass in areas are dead should i replant somethng that an live in 100/degree

Answer: I would rake out the dead areas and then feed and regularly water the turf so it becomes thick and green. I imagine you are growing Bermuda. You should apply fertilizer to Bermuda two to three times during the growing season. In April, it will start to come out of its dormant state. When it is about 50% green, apply a slow-release, high nitrogen fertilizer to your lawn. Make a second application about six to eight weeks later or as directed on the bag. A third application in another six weeks may be desired. Apply a "winterizer" to Bermuda in late October to prevent winter injury. To prevent winter weeds like poa annua, apply a crabgrass preventer to your Bermuda lawn in late September or early October. Apply it again in February to prevent crabgrass and certain other broadleaf weeds. A healthy, well-fed Bermuda lawn rarely has a weed problem. If weeds do develop, apply a lawn weed killer in June to control growing weeds.