The Q&A Archives: Stunned Eggplant

Question: I started my 4 Black Beauty eggplants from seeds in April and transplanted into the raised beds in May. Months later they look nice and healthy, but are only about 3 inches tall. What did I do wrong? Can I still correct my errors this season? I live in zone 7 (zip code 30519). Thank you.

Answer: If your soil is compacted and the roots have trouble penetrating, or if the soil is poor and there are few nutrients, eggplants will just sit there waiting until conditions to improve. Or if you've have rainy, muggy weather, they will suspend growth. It may be a combination of things. You can try a foliar feeding (Miracle Gro). As soon as all the growing conditions are just right your eggplants should grow well. Until then, there's nothing much you can do to encourage growth. Wish I had more ideas for you.