The Q&A Archives: rhodos

Question: Our rhodos are in their 2nd summer and all of a sudden the leaves are turning yellow and falling off----what do you think is the problem---they are in the sun most of the day

Answer: I'd start by checking the tags on your rhodies to see if they are tolerant of sunshine. Most prefer growing as understory plants in filtered sunlight. If yours are in hot afternoon sunshine, that may be the problem. For the most part, rhodies can take morning sun but not hot afternoon sunshine. Sudden yellowing of leaves indicates a real stress to the plant. It could be from the intense summer sunshine or it might indicate a problem with water or soil. I'd be inclined to dig the rhodies and move them to a more sheltered location. Wish I had more suggestions.