The Q&A Archives: bouganville

Question: I probably didn't spell it right bet you know what I mean. I bought a Bouganville plant in bloom last year and cut it back for winter. The plant came back big and healthy but won't bloom. I water two or three times a week and fertilize once a week. It is the only Bouganville plant I have. What do I do to get it to bloom. Thanks

Answer: Bouganivilleas bloom on a specific cycle which lasts a little over a month. After this the blooms or bracts fall off and the plant cycles through a period of a 6-8 weeks during which it grows leaves and shoots but not blooms. Then it will often enter another bloom period. Bougainvilleas bloom best when they are not in so vigorous of a growing condition. Potbound container plants and in ground plants living in marginally poor conditions seem to be among the best blooming specimens. If your plants are really vigorous cut back on fertilizer and water enough to keep them going but not luxuriously growing. They may then settle down and start blooming in time.