The Q&A Archives: How to rid my yard of a Black & Green striped snake

Question: In my front yard by my front stoop a black/green striped snake keeps appearing. Had mudjacking done in spring of the sidewalk in front of the stoop. I believe the snake is living under my stoop. I'm terrified and don't know how to get rid of it FOR GOOD. It frightened a visitor I had leaving my home. I live in a subdivision with an open field behind the house. I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Answer: What you have is a northern garter snake. These are generally considered beneficial in the garden because they feed on snails and beetles and other insect pests. They are usually 18-24 inches but can grow up to 48 inches long. There are no safe, effective snake repellents capable of keeping snakes away from yards or pools. However, if snakes are inhabiting small, confined areas - such as that crevice behind the front steps - a few tablespoons of naphthalene ("moth balls") may temporarily drive them out so that the entrance can be sealed.