The Q&A Archives: Palm Trees

Question: I have a Washingtonian Robust Palm Tree and need to know how to care for it in washington state. The leaves are turning brown and I cant find any advice on the web on how much water and how often to water. I would like to know if I have to clip the brown off too.

Answer: Washingtonia palm is also called Mexican Fan Palm. Washington palm prefers a moderately rich well drained soil but can survive on poor soils, and even sand.
It does best in bright sunny conditions but will tolerate some shade. Washington palm is drought resistant when established, but looks better and grows faster when given adequate moisture. Adequate meaning one deep soaking per week during the summer months. It is not recommended for your gardening zone but it may survive if planted in a protected place. (West Hills Honda along the Hwy. near Silverdale has several of these trees along their driveway so they can grow in Bremerton.) Washington palm is hardy down to about 20?F but foliage will be damaged at that temperature. When the fronds turn brown they should be cut from the tree. As long as new fronds are being produced, browning fronds are normal - a natural aging process. Hope this answers all your questions.