The Q&A Archives: ti or red sister plant

Question: I live in south florida and grow the red sister plants out doors exposed to full direct sun for only a portion of the day. I have had these plants for many years. I often cut them back and make new starts from the mature stalks. The color red seems to be not be at its full potential. How do I regain a full red color out of these plants again. If fertilizer how often and what kind or brand do you recommend.

Answer: Although Ti plants will grow in full sunshine, the color is darker in shade and lighter in the sun. You can experiment with the amount of color by growing a few of your cuttings in bright shade rather than in full sunshine. I think you'll find the leaves a deeper richer color. Since you have an established bed of Ti plants, you probably won't want to move them but I wonder if you can plant something nearby that will produce filtered shade for them in the afternoons? If so, I think you'll get that deep, rich color back on your Ti plants. Best wishes with your plants!