The Q&A Archives: Begonia Plants

Question: My Begonia Plants have suddenly developed large grayish, moldy looking patches on their leaves. THey are in pots and still blooming, but looking wilted. The soil is good, I put in continuous fertilizer spikes when I planted. They have been kept well watered and well drained. What is it? and what do I do about? Thank You VERY Much for your assistance. Rita Palo

Answer: It sounds as if your plant has a fungal disease known as gray mold. This is brought on by too much moisture, overwatering, or too high a humidity?usually it is initiated by a wound of some sort. You can try using a fungicide, but I'd also suggest pinching off the affected leaves to keep the fungus from spreading. Your plants may look a little lopsided after pinching off the affected leaves but they should recover and replace the lost leaves. Good luck with your begonias!