The Q&A Archives: Non-Blooming Hydrangea

Question: I have a hydrangea that I have taken cuttings from and given to neighbors. All of them bloom beautifully except the original plant that I took cuttings from. It used to bloom full and beautiful and for the past two years, nothing, not even a bud. Please advise what I need to do to have this beautiful plant come into bloom once again. Thank you

Answer: How very odd. Since the cuttings are growing and blooming, yours has the potential to flower, it just isn't getting the required sunlight or it is being pruned at the wrong time. Hydrangeas bloom best when given 4 hours of morning sun. They produce flowers on new growth of the season so pruning yours in the spring just as new leaf buds are swelling will encourage lots of new growth. Be sure to leave 3-4 leaf buds on each stem that you prune and your plant should flower, providing it is getting enough sunshine. Good luck with your hydrangea!