The Q&A Archives: Sedge Nut Grass

Question: I have this thin blade grass growing in my lawn, I was told it is sedge Nut grass. How do I get rid of it?

Answer: There are two types of nutsedge common to turfgrass: yellow nutsedge (Cyperus esculentus) and purple nutsedge (Cyperus rotundus). Yellow nutsedge has yellow flowers; purple nutsedge has purple. It is important to identify the type of nutsedge in your lawn since no one herbicide eliminates both. Choose an herbicide effective against the type of nutsedge in your lawn. Look for a product containing bentazon to combat yellow nutsedge, or imazaquin on purple nutsedge. Some commercial nonselective weed and grass killers are also recommended for control. It's important to read the label of any herbicide to determine if it is recommended for nutsedge.

As a general rule, do not apply when temperatures are over 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Follow the label instructions for the appropriate rate of application. Nutsedge is stubborn and may require several applications.