The Q&A Archives: Searching for Irradiated Seeds

Question: I am a high school freshman and want to do a science project about irradiation of seeds. I want to compare the growth of seeds that were irradiated with those that were not. My problem is: where can I buy some irradiated seeds? Are any of the ones you sell treated this way? Why or why not? Jennifer Denbow Round Rock, TX

Answer: I am not aware of any source of irradiated seed, but you might want to contact Gus Koerner Principal Research Technician Crop Physiology Laboratory Dept. of Plants, Soils, and Biometeorology Utah State Univ. Logan, UT 84322-4820 E-mail: He is involved in doing research on growing crops in space vehicles, and may be able to direct you. He is also offering seeds developed specifically for growing in space to interested students. Another web site that might be of interest to you is the Apogee web page at [url=httt://]httt://[/url]