The Q&A Archives: Self watering pot for african Violet

Question: Hello, I just purchased a self-watering pot for my African Violet. The bowl it sits in and upper part of the pot is ceramic, but I think the bottom of the pot is clay or ceramic, and it doesn't have holes in the bottom. I need advice on how to use this pot. Thanks (-:

Answer: Self watering pots are perfect for African violets because the plants will get just the amount of water they need. The planting part of the pot is the upper part and it is partially glazed. The bottom of the planting pot is unglazed which makes it porous enough to soak up moisture from the bottom section of the container. You fill the bottom container with water and set the top part in. As the plant uses water it is wicked up from the holding tank, keeping the soil moist. All you need to do is remember to lift the top pot up occasionally to check the water level. Just keep water in the bottom and your plant will thrive.