The Q&A Archives: Drying Hedge

Question: I have a long my walkway hedges I think is the woodbox. It has been very nice and green looking. The first one where it starts fromt the house it's drying very fast half is already brown and I'm afraid it will continue drying the whole path. I have been watering thinking it needs water, but it keeps getting worst. I don't know if it's drying or dying. Please tell me what to do. Thank you Johanna

Answer: Boxwoods are usually carefree hedging plants so I'm not sure what might be wrong with your plant. If it is turning brown, there's a root problem. The most common is root rot from poorly draining soils. But the browning might also be caused by dog urine or from lack of water. I can't really diagnose the problem without seeing the plant. Try watering once each week - twice a week when the weather is really hot. When you water, apply the water slowly so it has a chance to soak into the soil. Inspect the plants for signs of insects, as well. Wish I could offer more help!