The Q&A Archives: Blooming

Question: I planted my marigolds this year as I did last year, grew them from seeds, however I planted them later this year. I started them out in a little planter, then transplanted to my flower bed. They have grown like wildfire & very green but still are not blooming. Is it because of how hot it has been this year or is there something else I can do to promote blooming?

Answer: Marigolds usually don't mind the heat and will flower all summer, but they need to mature in order to bloom. I think your plants are a few weeks behind because they were started later than usual. Size isn't as important as how old they are. They will catch up and will bloom - it will just take them a little longer to mature. Don't give up on them!