The Q&A Archives: Asiatic Lily Deformity

Question: Over the past couple years, my Asiatic lilies have developed a deformity where the buds grow in a crescent shape. Some look more deformed than others when they open. Some stalks don't develope any buds, just brown nubs where the buds should be. This has happened even with new bulbs, right away the first year they bloomed. I also have a daylily nearby that shows some of the same syptoms but over a longer number of years. Could this be thrips? What can I do about this problem? I would like to continue growing lilies in this location.

And for your information, I wrote to you a week ago concerning problems with my Snow Crystals alyssum. I have since diagnosed the problem as fertilizer burn. I believe this was caused by improper mixing & dispensing of the powder in the Miracle Gro No Clog 2 sprayer.

Answer: It sure sounds like thrips to me. To find out for sure, call your county agricultural extension office (ph# 715/634-4839) and ask if you can send some of the affected plant parts to them for diagnosis.

If thrips are the problem be prepared next season to spray the plants with pyrethrin or neem (an organic control - extract of the neem tree seed). Apply as directed by the product label - you may need to start spraying even before the buds appear. Best of luck!