The Q&A Archives: Question about Protection of Plants

Question: Hello. I recently noticed that almost all of my plants are being eaten by deer and rabbits. I have 20 daylilies, and they have been eaten alive. So have my nearly all my trees, and for an unknown reason, my roses. Is there a possible way to prevent my garden from being eaten by these pests? I've tried netting and sprays already (the net was eaten, it was plastic).

Answer: Fencing is really the only absolute way to keep animals from feasting on your landscape trees and shrubs. If you have favorite perennials such as your daylilies and roses, you can try caging them to keep them out of harm's way. There are several repellants on the market. Ropel, Deer Away, or even homemade concoctions can keep critters away. Here's the current homemade deterrent that gardener's are trying:
1 gallon of water
6 capfuls of Murphy's Oil Soap
2 Tbsp. of cayenne pepper
Spray onto plants. This does not harm the plants and reportedly will keep the pesky rabbits, squirrels and deer away. I hope it works well for you, too!