The Q&A Archives: Deadheading Nicotiana

Question: I planted two flats of nicotiana this year for the first time. They bloomed well at first, but now are not in bloom at all. Do they need to be deadheaded? Will they re-bloom at all this season?

Answer: Nicotiana has a long bloom season, spring through summer. Deadheading will help to encourage a new flush of bloom. Keeping your annuals well fertilized will also help them to put on a nice show for you this summer. I look for fertilizers designated for annuals, they are higher in phosphorous and potassium and really help with flowering. By the way, if you can't find a fertilizer that specifically says it is for annuals, look at the numbers on the packaging, such as 5-10-10. The last two numbers represent phosphorous and potassium, respectively.