The Q&A Archives: need shade fast

Question: I have a rotten plum tree that has to go, however, i need the shade for all the lovely ferns. I dont know whether to try to do an arbor, or trellis, or another tree. if i do get another tree, it has to be cheap, fast growing and not messy because my fish pond is near. any suggestions?

Answer: I'd go with the trellis idea. You can choose from all kinds of plants and get quick coverage without the concern of invasive tree roots, litter, etc. You can build a trellis inexpensively or you can purchase pre-made trellises, or you can build a functional arbor in a weekend. I'd choose evergreen vines but for really quick coverage you might also grow annual vines such as Scarlet Runner Beans, Hyacinth Bean, Cardinal Climber or Sweet Peas. Good luck with your project!