The Q&A Archives: keeping squirrels/chipmonks off tomatoes?

Question: How can I keep the squirrels and chipmonks from eatng my tomatoes. I have hardware cloth fencing around them but the still get in there and pick off ALL the tomatoes. I have 15 tomato plants and have yet to get ONE ripe tomato and it is the end of July. The buggers grab the tomatoes off the vine as soon as they are about golf ball size. I also have tried HOT pepper spray to no avail. HELP!!!

Answer: How exasperating! If you bury the fencing 6 inches into the ground and wire the top shut, the critters won't be able to access your plants. A final suggestion is to drive stakes into the ground and string nylon fishing line between them, criss crossing the line every 8 inches and keeping the line only 6 inches above the ground. Squirrels and chipmonks will be afraid they'll get their legs caught and will stay away. Good luck with your garden!