The Q&A Archives: animals eating roots of plants

Question: I keep finding tunnels under my plants and roots being eaten. There is no surface disturbance in any of the areas so I never know there is a problem until the plant starts dying. Is it possible that chipmunks are responsible? Any other suggestions and what can I do the prevent this?

Answer: Chipmonks might be the culprits, but moles and voles may also be the critters responsible. There's not much you can do in the way of control until you determine what might be doing the damage. I'd suggest contacting your local cooperative extension office to see which critters are most populus in your gardening region. They will also suggest ways of determining which ones might be visiting your garden and what controls work locally. Contact Fulton County Cooperative extension, 1 Margaret Mitchell SQ NW, STE 109, Atlanta, GA 30303-1022. Good luck with your project!