The Q&A Archives: About Perennial Shrubs

Question: I have a some parts of the lot that have soil that perennial plants keep on dying, especially shrubs with flowers. What kind of shrubs do you suggest I plant on this type of soil?

Answer: The best course of action is to improve the soil prior to planting anything. This way, whatever you decide to plant should thrive. You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start by spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the . You can use compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your perennials and shrubs and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden.