The Q&A Archives: grass is thin

Question: My grass used ot be thick and now it is thin. What could be the problem and how to fix it and avoid later?

Answer: It sounds as though your soil is compacted and the turf is struggling. I'd aerate the soil. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn.

Aerating should improve the soil beneath the lawn and help your lawn grow lush and thick, which will help crowd out any future weeds.