The Q&A Archives: lawn weeds

Question: I have something in my yard that loods like crabgrass, but has a shallow root. I have heard it referred to as

Answer: You must be aggressive in dealing with quackgrass, since it is aggressive. Unfortunately, there are no selective herbicides for quackgrass and with its rhizomatous root system, it is almost impossible to pull. The only real alternative in dealing with quackgrass is killing it with a nonselective herbicide such as Roundup or Finale. Keep in mind that these herbicides will kill anything with leaves, and apply them carefully.

To prevent quackgrass next spring, pre-emergence herbicides, such as crabgrass preventers, will inhibit germination of quackgrass seed. Such seeds germinate as the soil temperature reaches around 55-60 degrees in spring, so timely application is important.