The Q&A Archives: blueberry bush blues

Question: My blueberry bushes(all 9 of them) have begun to have entire branches turn brown. They were just planted in May as 3 gal. size, and were doing very well. Berries were great from all 4 varieties. I'm an organic gardener, so I need a natural cure. I thought I saw a few white flies around them before vacation. Can they do that much damage in 3 weeks? Friends watered all in my absence.

Answer: Blueberry plants often develop dead branches for no apparent reason. Whiteflies won't cause that kind of damage. When you remove the dead branches be sure to inspect them for signs of disease, cankers, swollen areas, etc. If they look clean but dead, it's natural - if you find odd growths, substances or cracks, you may want to take them into your cooperative extension office for diagnosis. Contact North Carolina State University Cooperative Extension, 1303 Dallas Cherryville Hwy, Dallas, NC 28034-8801 phone (704) 922-0301.