The Q&A Archives: CALCIUM

Question: How DO I PUT CALCIUM IN GARDEN SOIL? I have some tomatoes and okra that turn brown and fall off the vine. I was told this is call blossom rotten. And my garden soil needed calcium in it. How do I do this?

Answer: Lime is a substance that provides calcium. You can buy lime as ground limestone, dolomitic limeston, or gypsum. Blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency aggravated by widely fluctuating soil moisture and high temperatures. It occurs because of too little calcium in the soil; too much nitrogen fertilizer, very wet or very dry soils (which interfere with calcium uptake), high temperatures, or combinations of these factors. Add lime to your soil to adjust the soil pH to 6.8-7.2. Fertilize only moderately, don't plant where drainage is poor, mulch plants with loose organic materials, and ensure uniform soil moisture. Water to wet all soil in the root zone every 7 to 10 days. If you follow the above directions, your veggies should be safe from blossom end rot.