The Q&A Archives: Resources of Organic Care of Fruit Trees

Question: We just moved into a new home and have inherited quite a few fruit trees. Because we have young children, I am interested in starting to use organic gardening. In particular we have a beautiful and well established Red Delicious apple tree that is located next to an existing vegetable garden plot. Can you tell me the best way to take care of this tree? Are there any books in particular that would be a good resource? This is a great web-site and you offer a great service with this question and answer section. Thank you. Barbara Friedman Marlboro, NJ

Answer: Maintaining fruit trees involves a program of pruning, fertilizing, and pest control. A great resource for learning about caring for fruit trees organically is a book called "The Orchard Almanac" by Stephen Page and Joseph Smillie (published by Spraysaver Publications, Rockport, Maine 04856). This book is available from St. Lawrence Nurseries, a mail-order nursery in Potsdam, NY. Their number is 315/265-6739. The Nursery also produces its own planting and maintenance guide, including organic methods of pest control.