The Q&A Archives: grass

Question: I have just noticed that I have two large circles on my the center the grass is green but where the circle is it is brown and kind of bare. The rest of the yard is green.

Answer: There are two situations that might have caused the alien invasion. The first is easy - dog urine can burn the grass but the nitrogen contained in the urine can quickly green the lawn up, in the center of the spot, leaving a dead ring around it. The second possibility is a fungal disease called Brown Patch. Brown patch is identified as a circular area in the lawn, usually 3 to 10 feet in diameter. In the edge of the area you will see browning or yellowing grass, yet the interior of the circle may be a more healthy green. Pull blades of grass at the edge of the circle. If the blades pull easily away from the stems and look brown and rotted at the base of the blades, then your lawn does have Brown patch and should be treated quickly. Greenlight Fung-Away or Fertiloam are two products registered for control of Brown Patch. Good luck with your lawn.