The Q&A Archives: Shrubs

Question: We had two blueberry bushes growing wonderfully until a month ago. They are next to strawberry plants and I planted sage this year. Would the sage kill them? They have turned red and the leaves are all dried out, yet this is a wet cold summer.

Answer: I don't think the sage would affect the blueberries but I do think that unseasonably cold weather might have affected your plants. We usually see the reddish leaf color in the fall when the weather gets cold, not in the summer. But if things have been cold and wet, I'm sure that's what the problem is. You can feed your blueberries with an acidified fertilizer (such as one for azaleas and rhododendrons) and top dress the soil with some peat moss to provide some additional acidity. Then prune away the damaged leaves and stems. New growth should be healthy. Enjoy!