The Q&A Archives: Removing brown spots in lawn due to pet urine

Question: Removing brown spots in lawn due to pet urine...
I am looking for a way to organically remove the brown spots of grass made by our dog. We are out in the yard with her so the remedy can be immediate, but preferably done once a day/week.
Thank you in advance for your assistance solving our problem.

Answer: You can fix the dead spots, but it's difficult to avoid having dead spots due to pet urine. The salts in urine kill off the grass so you'll need to flood the spots to leach out the salts, then rake out the dead grass and over-seed with new grass seed. The seed should germinate in 7-10 days. As for keeping new dead areas from forming, about the only course of action is to hose the area off as soon as your pet urinates. This will dilute the urine and keep it from killing the grass. Some pet stores sell dietary supplements that are supposed to neutralize the urine. You might check into those. Wish I had a better solution for you!