The Q&A Archives: Vegetables

Question: I'm having problems getting my tomatoes, peppers and egg plants to produce better. They seem to grow okay but do not produce the vegetables. We're trying to grow them organical, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. I use a product called Milorganite. Could you give me some hints on what I should be doing or what I need to do? We tilled the ground before planting.

Answer: I wonder if you are planting at the wrong time of the year? If you've amended your soil with organic matter, and are careful to water and feed, the only other element that might affect a plant's growth is the climate. In Florida you have two opportunities during the year to plant tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. February or August. Why not try planting again in August so the plants can produce during the cooler months of September, October and November? Here's a publication that might be of help to you:

It is from Florida State University and lists the optimal planting times and best varieties for your local gardening region. Hope you find it helpful!