The Q&A Archives: picking shrub to plant

Question: I live in sykesville MD. trying to decide what to plant in retaining wall space in front of my home. the space is about 2-3 feet from our foundation. I want a perennial evergreen and will try to keep it under 3 feet tall.

Answer: I think a dwarf shrub would be perfect for the site you have. Consider;
Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Templehof' (Templehof Hinoki Cypress) grows 3-4' tall and wide. This Hinoki is a great specimen. Globose when young this tight growing fan-shaped beauty will grow pyramidal with age. The foliage will turn a bronze color in the winter months.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Cream Ball' (Sawara Cypress ) grows 2 feet tall and wide. Has silver-white foliage. A compact, dense grower adding 3-6" per year.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Tsukumo' (Sawara Cypress), 2-3' tall and wide. It is a tight, irregular bun-shaped specimen. The very fine-textured foliage is a light green with a light bluish color on the underside

Juniperus chinensis 'Gold Star' (Gold Star Juniper) grows 2-3' tall but wider.
The spectacular color contrast of this spreader is amazing! The light blue-green foliage is tipped with bright gold. A very easy to care for evergreen, tolerant of poor soils.

Picea abies 'Pumila' (Dwarf Norway Spruce) grows 3-4 feet and is a wonderful dark green, rounded dwarf evergreen.

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape.