The Q&A Archives: Hostas

Question: I have a hosta plant; white lined leaves, that has a regular curl to it this year; almost looks like it is drying up, but I water it. It also has some leaves that have bites to them. Is there a particular pest control I should get, or is it needing nutrients? I can take a picture and email also. Thank you for your time. This is a great service.

Emily Herman,

Answer: Glad you find our service helpful! Hostas thrive in cool, moist soils in shady spots. Drying leaves can indicate too much sunshine or too much fertilizer. While they like to be watered regularly, twice a week is about all they will need. When you water, apply the water slowly so it has a chance to percolate down and wet the entire root mass. Slugs and snails like to feed on hosta leaves. They can be controlled with baits such as Sluggo. Hope this information helps!