The Q&A Archives: Planting A Shady Area

Question: What kind of flowers or shrubs/bushes can I plant in a well shaded area? There are two apple trees shading an area approximately 10 feet by 10 feet.

Answer: While there are many plants for shade, in this instance your plants will also have to withstand competition from the apple trees for light, water and nutrients. For easy care and good results I would suggest some of the evergreen Euonymus fortunei (Wintercreeper Euonymus) which are commonly available in a number of varieties along with some hosta plants which are also available in a number of varieties. Another possibility might be Vinca minor, an evergreen groundcover with bright blue flowers in early spring. To add some additional height and interest to the composition you might consider placing a bench under the trees, along with a large planter of a flowering shade loving annual such as impatiens. Good luck with your shade garden!