The Q&A Archives: tomatoe growing

Question: I'm trying to grow tomotatoes with those upside down things- they are getting sun and water appropriately as well as tomato food, but I've had two tomatoes to date and they were planted in spring. What's up?

Answer: I know it's disappointing when tomatoes won't set fruit but it's usually a problem with the weather, not with the care you are giving them. When temperatures are above 90F the pollen can be rendered sterile. And at those temperatures sometimes tomatoes won't even flower. The best way around the weather problem is to plant early in the season so your plants can flower before it gets too hot, or in mid-season so plants will begin to flower towards the end of summer. At this point you can only wait it out. When the temperatures are just right, your plants will flower and set fruit. Hope it's soon!