The Q&A Archives: New planting

Question: Hi, I planted a 5 galon persimmon tree on 07/02/09 and it was full of leaves. During last cuple of days it has shed 25% of it's leafes and the rest of the leafs seems to be yellowish and perhaps about to fall. Is this OK? Do I need to take any actions?

Answer: Your recently transplanted persimmon tree is probably going through a little adjustment period and is shedding leaves in an effort to remain alive. As soon as the roots become established, the tree should perk up. Persimmons are adaptable and will grow in most soils, as long as they drain well. Just be sure to keep your new tree watered during it's first year in the ground and it should be fine. Water slowly and deeply to encourage deep roots. Good luck with your new tree!