The Q&A Archives: pepper plant care

Question: I have a pepper plant that was described as a Guatamalin pepper - appears to be related to cayenne peppers from pictures I've seen. It grew really well, and produced tons of peppers from May-mid July. Is this a plant that needs to be pruned back in the winter? (we live in S. Florida). Will it pick up flowering again this summer or is it done? What might it be needing to continue flowering?

Answer: Chiltepe is the name given to Guatemala?s most widely-used hot pepper. Pepper plants are annuals, though so your plant will eventually stop growing and will die, even with excellent care. If you want to grow more peppers, save some of the seeds and plant them in late August and again in February or March. If you continue to save and replant your seeds, you can continue your pepper production. Enjoy!