The Q&A Archives: Avacado leaves turning brown.

Question: I have a 6 foot Avacado tree that's been planted in my yard for 2 years. The leaves sprout and when they reach full size the ends of them turn brown and they very slowly die. I fertilize and spray for bugs but nothing helps. The tree continues to grow and yet this happens year round.

Answer: When the browning starts at the leaf margins and spreads to the entire leaf it usually indicates a high salt content in the soil - a fertilizer build-up. You can leach excess salts out of the soil by flooding the root zone periodically with lots of water. This should rinse out most of the salt build up. Be careful when feeding your tree. Try using half the amount of fertilizer as recommended on the package and then flooding the soil every few months. I think this will help. Best wishes with your tree.