The Q&A Archives: Apple Trees

Question: I bought a house that has 10 fruit trees. The 4 apple trees have bad apples...should I pick all those bad apples off the tree now and destroy? If I wait til they fall to the ground, the bugs will move right to the ground, won't they?

Answer: Unfortunately, apple trees sometimes need to be put on a regular spraying schedule to keep them insect and disease free. Raking up all the fallen apples is important at the end of the season. You can remove those still on the tree if you'd like, but as long as you remove and destroy them at the end of the season, you'll accomplish the same thing. Here's a publication you might find helpful when deciding whether or not you want to use preventative sprays on your apple trees:

Good luck with your home orchard!